Website Balboa Park Cultural Partnership
The Director, Parkwide Communications serves as the communications, media relations, public relations, brand management and marketing professional for the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership (BPCP). This position develops, communicates, implements and evaluates marketing strategies in collaboration with BPCP members.
Balboa Park is the cultural heart of San Diego and a popular destination for visitors to San Diego and county residents alike. The park hosted the 1915–16 Panama–California Exposition and 1935–36 California Pacific International Exposition. Many buildings now house museums, cultural attractions and performing arts theaters and programs. This forms the backbone of the Balboa Park guest experience.
About the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership: The Balboa Park Cultural Partnership is a nonprofit organization through which 30 arts, science and cultural institutions collaborate to achieve greater organizational efficiency, innovation and excellence. The Partnership’s member institutions vary in size and type and include museums, performing arts groups and theaters, cultural centers, gardens and the San Diego Zoo.
The Partnership was formed in 2003 to provide a means for members to identify and achieve collective goals and to speak with one voice on issues of mutual benefit and importance. The Board of Directors is comprised of executive directors of member institutions. Park staff, trustees, and volunteers participate in the development and implementation of Partnership programs — Sustainability Program, Learning Institute, Explorer, Publics Events, and One Park – One Team and now Park-wide Communications.
The Director, Parkwide Communications will:
- Serve as brand manager for Balboa Park, developing, implementing, or partnering with other BPCP staff on marketing initiatives and activities that include marketing campaigns, events, corporate responsibility programs and sponsorships.
- Provide support to the San Diego Tourism Authority as they drive strategic marketing efforts to develop and implement an integrated marketing plan to promote Balboa Park as a must-see destination using the Ever Changing, Always Amazing brand platform.
- Work in collaboration with BPCP members and other major Park institutions to develop and implement a co-branding strategy to effectively and efficiently market Balboa Park as a leading destination and the cultural heart of San Diego.
- Deepen relationships with and serve as a resource for marketing representatives at Park institutions and organizations. Collect, maintain and distribute information on activities, exhibits and events throughout the Park to provide the basis for better communication, to alleviate conflict and provide a resource for shared activity in marketing, common-themed exhibits and events.
- Manage co-op opportunities and promote marketing efficiencies as appropriate, while also understanding the marketing strategies of each individual institution/organization.
- Serve as a media contact, handling media relations efforts to build awareness for the destination.
- Collaborate with BPCP staff, including the Director of Special Events and the Social Media Manager, to develop on-brand messaging and ensure that Explorer and Park-wide events are included in the overall brand strategy and communications plan.
- Generate through member marketing expenses, sponsorship, grants or other sources no less than $75,000 per year for three years to match a direct marketing grant of $75,000, with said funds to be used for regional marketing activity.
- Provide consistent and actionable reporting identifying impact and effectiveness in driving member visitation and market awareness.
QUALIFICATION & REQUIREMENTS
- Work experience in destination marketing required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, tourism, communications or other related area is strongly preferred. A Master’s degree in any of these areas is advantageous.
- The ideal candidate will have 5-plus years of experience as a leading communications practitioner who was responsible for directing a communications function for a highly successful destination or venue.
- A proven track record of functional leadership in the areas of marketing communications, brand management, project management, social media, public relations and marketing program development.
- Able to work highly collaboratively with individuals at all levels across multiple businesses and functions, with a very professional and calm demeanor, strong reasoning skills and the innate ability to provide tactful honest direction or advice.
- Experience and success with all types of media, including as a highly engaging spokesperson.
- Ability to use proven strategic planning skills as it relates to developing strategies and programs that are aligned to key management priorities.
- Must demonstrate the ability to develop highly successful regional public and media relations programs that will enhance ongoing marketing and promotional efforts, particularly in positioning elements within a destination attraction.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, along with very strong organizational, management and technical skills, and the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously.
Position type: Full-time, Exempt. Salary is commensurate with experience. Balboa Park Cultural Partnership offers a benefits package that includes medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, discounts at select Balboa Park restaurants and shops, and free admission to member museums.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample – all in .PDF format – via e-mail to email@example.com by close of business on April 17, 2017. Please put “BPCP Director Parkwide Communications: [Insert your first initial and last name]” in the subject line. No phone calls please.