Website County of San Diego, Department of Human Resources
Excellent Management Opportunity
GROUP COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Land Use & Environment Group – Executive Office
This recruitment may be subject to suspend on Sunday, March 19, 2017, at 11:59 pm.
The Group Communications Officer is a management level job class responsible for overseeing, developing, and coordinating the communications program for a County functional group; and to advise and assist management in public information and public relations activities.
This specific vacancy is located in the Land Use & Environment Group and will be the primary media and public affairs contact for Six of the LUEG Departments: Agriculture Weights and Measures, Air Pollution Control District, Environmental Health, Parks and Recreation, Planning & Development Services, and Public Works.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Experience working with governmental/public agencies as a public affairs and/or communication representative
- Ability to work in a fast-paced large governmental organization and successfully handle multiple priorities and projects with strict deadlines
- Demonstrate organizational acumen and understand organizational politics
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with management, employees, media personnel, stakeholders, and the public representing diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Experience translating technical terminology into reading materials that the general public will understand
- Knowledge of current communication, media, and public affairs trends and technology including the ability to effectively utilize social media
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations to department heads, elected officials, and executives with outside agencies
- Ability to effectively support County executives in presenting clear and applicable information to diverse stakeholders
- Ability to exercise appropriate judgment in answering questions and releasing information
- Ability to understand multiple perspectives, agendas, and goals
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university, or a certified foreign studies equivalency in communications, journalism, public relations, or a closely related field; AND,
1. Two (2) years as a Communications Specialist with the County of San Diego, OR,
2. Four (4) years of full-time experience in public or community relations involving the dissemination of information to the public through various forms of communications media.
Additional years of experience as described above may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Qualified applicants will be placed on a 12-month eligible list based on scores received during the evaluation of information contained in the supplemental application questionnaire. Please ensure all information is complete and accurate as the responses you provide on the supplemental application form will be reviewed using an automated evaluation system. If you are successful in the initial screening process your application will be reviewed individually to confirm that the information you provided is accurate and qualifying.
If interested, apply directly online at: www.sandiegocounty.gov/hr/.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/hr/ →