Under direction of the Director of Marketing and Communications, this position is responsible for organizing and implementing internal/external communications, marketing campaigns and projects, and outreach plans. The individual in this position develops and maintains a collaborative relationship with internal staff, partner agencies, and other stakeholders in support of his/her responsibility to ensure up-to-date knowledge about current and upcoming NCTD projects.
This position is characterized by a high degree of public and employee contact, in-person, over the phone, and via email. The Marketing and Communications Associate will be an articulate, creative, and organized individual. The Marketing and Communications Associate is tasked with the handling and improvement of communications through the development, implementation, and management of information and materials focused on promoting a positive identity among all audiences, assisting with media communications, and supporting the public website and social media channels.
Supervision Received and Exercised
This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and provides support for departments throughout NCTD. The individual in this position does not supervise staff. This position is expected to participate in the sharing of expert knowledge and act as a vital member of various project teams that may be instituted.
Normal working conditions for this position are in both an office and field setting. Business travel may be required periodically between District sites, governmental agencies, consultants’ facilities, outreach events, and other locations, as required. This position will be required to work a range of times and days to support District activities and events. This include nights, weekends, and holidays at various locations to accommodate the needs of the Department and customers.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and disseminate press releases for local and national publications and news outlets regarding informational and promotional NCTD projects and events. Upload press releases to the NCTD website and code as needed. Add/remove recipients to press release distribution list as requested. Maintain a media log of news stories referencing NCTD.
- Assist in managing the GoNCTD.com and Intranet websites. Work with requestors to create and edit pages on the site to ensure web content is up to date including web banners, graphics, PDFs, other files, and copy. Work with identified department liaisons to assist in regularly scheduled web audits of pertinent pages. Edit simple HTML coding. Respond to inquiries regarding possible site modifications and viability of options.
- Support social media channels through the development and implementation of regular, engaging posts. Develop original content and implement targeted communications for the various social media platforms.
- Assist in outreach efforts with schools, community groups, and corporate partners which will increase NCTD ridership, educate about rail safety, and promote brand awareness. Serve as NCTD’s point of contact for certain partner agencies’ outreach efforts.
Provide advanced photography, videography, and editing services, as needed, for NCTD events and projects including, but not limited to, photos of staff, special events, and outreach activities, as well as video production for social media, internal projects, and external promotional materials.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of a variety of media, promotional and special events.
- Provide creative services and technical writing for newsletters, press releases, advertising copy, marketing collateral, web and social media sites, and a variety of written correspondence.
- Assist in the development and review of printed materials including Rider’s Guides, schedules, maps, and brochures that are distributed to the press, passengers, internal audiences, and community and civic groups.
- Collaborate with other agency departments and contractors to provide improved knowledge, planning, and communication regarding NCTD projects throughout the region.
- Respond to general inquiries regarding NCTD and its family of transportation services, projects, and programs via telephone, social media, face-to-face, and written correspondence.
- Maintain and update the NCTD marketing/promotional item inventory.
- Provide other general project support and collaborate with other departments and entities, as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, public relations, marketing or a closely related field required.
- Minimum five years in marketing, communications, or community relations.
- Experience in copywriting, website maintenance, graphic design, social media campaigns, web site management, and event management.
- Prior experience in a transit and/or public agency desirable.
- Prior experience in WordPress is a plus.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
A combination of experience/skills and education to fulfill the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position may be considered.
- Possess and maintain a California driver’s license, Class C, and a satisfactory driving record for the last five years.
- Maintain compliance with the District’s policy regarding Conflict of Interest and Ethics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key principles and elements in planning outreach campaigns.
- Comprehension of basic marketing statistics to evaluate market research findings.
- Ability to creatively design new solutions to current problems and provide alternate options for future outreach strategies.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to create and maintain good working relationships through excellent communication and teambuilding skills; including the ability to engage successfully with both internal and external contacts and the public.
- Must be able to manage and maintain simultaneous, transitional, and emerging priorities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer software programs and content platforms, such as Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, Mail Chimp, Survey Monkey, Meltwater, common social media platforms, Google Analytics, and Final Cut Pro, or other video editing software.
- Maintain flexible availability to ensure coverage for activities and events which are scheduled outside of standard working hours.
- If necessary, serve as a member of NCTD’s service disruption and/or emergency response team, including the ability to respond outside of normal business hours.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must possess the ability to use the phone and computer for extended periods, manual dexterity to complete clerical functions and work with office equipment and lift equipment up to 75 pounds on a regular basis. The employee must be able to hear, see, and communicate verbally to exchange information. The employee must be able to physically travel between District locations and other destinations, work on weekends and evenings when required, work in hazardous conditions, and negotiate a variety of different and irregular terrain as is typical along a railway right-of-way. The employee may be subject to fumes, odors, dusts, gases, and chemicals. The employee must be able to walk, climb, balance, bend, carry, push, reach, sit, and stand.
Machines / Tools / Equipment
- Ability to operate a personal computer (Mac and PC) and Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including a copier and scanner machine and a telephone.
- Ability to carry and operate a smartphone.
Apply here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nctd/jobs/3676624/marketing-and-communications-associate
Jesus Garcia, Human Resources Business Partner
760.967.2824 x824 or firstname.lastname@example.org